Cycling is an excellent way of getting around and can offer you several health benefits.
Did you know? The best way to build your cardiovascular fitness on the bike is to ride for at least 150 minutes every week. You could cycle to work a few days a week, or do a couple of shorter rides during the week with a longer ride at the weekend. You’ll soon feel the benefits. (NHS).
For more information, please click the drop-down boxes below
Cycling is another excellent way of getting around and can offer you several health benefits:
- Low Impact – less strain and injuries than most other forms of exercise
- Muscle Workout – did you know that cycling uses all of the major muscle groups as you pedal?
- Easy – Unlike some other sports, cycling doesn’t need a high level of physical skill.
- Strength and Stamina – cycling can increase your strength, stamina and aerobic fitness.
- Vary your Intensity – Cycling can be done at a low intensity to begin with, even if you’re recovering from injury or illness, but can be built up to a demanding physical workout.
- Fun – Cycling is a fun way to get fit, the sense of adventure and buzz you can get from being outdoors in Scarborough means you a more likely to continue to cycle regularly compared to other physical activities that keep you indoors or require special times or places.
- Time efficient – as a way of getting around, cycling replaces sitting time spent sitting in traffic with healthy exercise and can often be a quicker way of reaching your destination!
Cycle Confidence sessions
Have you found yourself cycling again recently and want to feel more confident cycling on the road?
If so, we offer FREE small group or individual cycling guidance* with qualified, experienced and friendly staff who follow an approved training scheme, Bikeability.
Benefits of attending:
• Confidence building
• Increase knowledge and understanding
• Tailored advice for individuals
• Increase levels of physical fitness, whilst saving money on vehicle expenses
• Environmentally friendly
• Preparation prior to cycling on the road including bike and helmet check
• Starting and stopping a journey safety
• Correct road positioning explained
• How to negotiate junctions and pass parked cars
• Route planning and town centre cycling, if appropriate
For more information, or to arrange a convenient time and place to receive your guidance, contact us here
*all training will be carried out in accordance with the latest Government guidance.
Bike maintenance checks
Has your bike recently come out of the shed and not been used for a while? If so, we’re trialling some FREE bike maintenance sessions* in Scarborough.
Bring it along to one of our Bike Maintenance Demos where we can give you tips and advice to make sure your bike is road worthy. Check back here for the list of sessions or contact us for more information.
*social distancing measures in place
Routes and maps
For more information on general cycling routes around Harrogate, Knaresborough, Ripley and Wetherby, please download our cycling map.
Connects North Harrogate with Ripley & offers level off road cycling for all users in rural settings through to Ripley. The Greenway forms part of national cycle trail 67 which continues south past the Harrogate Showground and on to Spofforth and Wetherby where it joins other national cycle routes.
Time: 24 minutes
NCN route 67 goes south from Ripley along the Nidderdale Greenway to north Harrogate. The Route continues through Harrogate past the Harrogate Showground and continues South to Follifoot, Spofforth and Wetherby where it links to the wider national cycle network.
Time: 35 minutes
This circular route uses traffic free cycle routes from Bilton down towards Harrogate town centre and then back up to Bilton from Starbeck. Some care should be taken crossing Knaresborough Road in Starbeck and inexperienced cyclists may wish to dismount here and walk their bikes for a hundred yards or so until they reach First Avenue. Occasional sections of busy roads require care to be taken.
Time: 60 minutes
The Beryl Burton Cycle Way links the attractive market town of Knaresborough with the northern side of Harrogate and Bilton Road. The route is mostly traffic free and level. At the point where Bilton Lane meets the Nidderdale Greenway a ramp provides cyclists with access to the disused railway which links to Starbeck and the Greenway Route to Ripley. This is NCN route 636.
Time: 25 minutes
The loop takes in a newly created stretch of cycle way linking the showground to Hornbeam Park and continues off road down towards the south west corner of Harrogate. This route is relatively flat although best tackled in clockwise direction.
Time: 40 minutes
This route takes in the northern part of Harrogate through the historic area of the Duchy Estate. The route uses off road cycle routes past the Hydro Swimming Pool and then winds its way back into town through historic tree lined avenues. Hilly but worth the effort.
Time: 30 minutes
Scarborough benefits from some great cycling trails, including the Cinder Track which runs from Scarborough to Whitby along a disused railway track.
Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Time: 5-6 hours
Time: 1 ½ – 2 ½ hours
DiscoverYorkshireCoast.com also provides a range of cycling routes for different abilities with downloadable routes.
Download our map to show where the off-road cycle paths are in Scarborough.
Skipton benefits from some great cycling trails and breath-taking scenery and is the Gateway to the Dales. Cycling from Skipton is a great way to explore the beautiful landscape, while also helping you to get fitter!
For routes visit:
Download our map to show where the off-road cycle paths are in Skipton.
Cycle Retail and Repairs
- Spa Cycles – spacycles.co.uk
- Specialized Concept Store – specializedconceptstore.co.uk/harrogate-store
- Stif – stif.co.uk
- AAA Cycles mobile repairs, 180 Kings Road, tel: 01423 508417
- Prologue Performance cycling – prologuecycling.co.uk
- North Yorkshire Electric Bikes – ny-ebikes.co.uk
- Chevin Cycles – chevincycles.com
- Pedalheads, Knaresborough – pedalheadscycles.co.uk
- Resurrection Bikes – resurrectionbikes.org.uk
- CorCoach Electric Bikes – corcoach.com
- Yorkshire Bike Company – a mobile cycle maintenance and cycle sales business https://yorkshirebike.co.uk/
- Richardson’s Cycles – http://www.richardsonscyclesscarborough.co.uk/
- Big Bear Bikes – http://www.bigbearbikes.co.uk/
- Yorkshire Coast Mobile Cycle Repairs – https://www.facebook.com/mobilecyclerepair/
- Grip Cycles – https://www.gripcycles.co.uk/
- Chasing Trails – https://www.chasingtrails.com/
- Bike It Cycle Warehouse – http://basebikes.com/
Fancy some company on your ride? Or perhaps you want to ride alongside others to boost your stamina? Below is a list of cycle clubs in the Harrogate area:
Fancy some company on your ride? Or perhaps you want to ride alongside others to boost your stamina? Below is a list of cycle clubs in the Scarborough area:
- Scarborough Breeze Ladies – https://www.facebook.com/BreezeScarborough/ Free, informal bicycle riding club for women only. Best contacted through the Facebook group.
- Richardson’s Cycle Club – https://richardsonscc.co.uk/ a Cycling and Mountain Bike Club located in Scarborough.
- Scarborough Paragon Cycling Club – http://www.spcc.org.uk/ cater for all ages and have particular focus on engaging with young novice riders.
- Yorkshire Coast Clarion Cycling Club – https://membermojo.co.uk/yorkshire-coast-clarion-cycling-club/ based in the areas of Scarborough and Bridlington and is a section of the National Clarion Cycling Club.
Fancy some company on your ride? Or perhaps you want to ride alongside others to boost your stamina? Below is a list of cycle clubs in the Skipton area:
- Skipton Cycling Club - https://skipton.cc/
- Ilkley Cycling Club - https://www.ilkley.cc/
- Richmond Cycling Club – https://rprouleurs.co.uk/
- Settle Wheelers - https://settlewheelers.org.uk/